(Please-no spoilers! Assume that all readers are viewing Downton Abbey as it airs on PBS)


Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Guilty Verdict and a Proposal

Sunday night's episode was the "Christmas Episode".  It aired in the U.K. at Christmas.  We saw how the holidays are celebrated at Downton and we finally got to see what happened to Mr. Bates.  He was found guilty of his wife Vera's murder. 

Anna showed much courage first when she went to the jail to visit John, then after the trial.  As the episode came to a close we found out that his sentence had been reduced from death by hanging to life in prison. 

Then there's Tom Barrow.  What a creep.  First he steals Lord Grantham's dog and then he worms his way into John Bates' job.

At the end of the episode it finally happened, Matthew proposed to Lady Mary.  It was a great scene.  They were standing outside the Abbey, in the snow, and Mary told him he had to get down on one knee if he wanted to propose.  He did.  I thought it was great that Lady Mary retained her dignity after all she's been through.

What did you think of the episode?  Any guesses a to what will happen with John Bates?







6 comments:

  1. I love Downton Abbey! I'll have to keep up with your episode commentary. Dropping in from the Linky Party. Please follow me back at http://www.ahappysong.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came by and followed you on Linky from Create with Joy's blog hop. I would love a follow back when you get the chance. Thanks so much and have a great day!

    Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm addicted to Downton. Not sure what is going to come of the Mr Bates verdict. I do hope we don't find he is actually guilty. I don't think we have seen the last of Patrick though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg...

      I think it's more likely we will find Carlisle hired someone to kill Vera. I agree, I think Patrick will be back.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for visiting my blog. I loved this last episode of Downton. Was so sad for Anna and Bates, and it was a little better to know he would not hang. I'm holding out hope that eventually we will see some evidence come to light that will set him free.
    That dirty Tom is just no good, don't like him and what nerve to steal that poor dog and lock it up like that. I was on the edge of my seat just waiting for the dog to be dead since it was making no noise when they were all approaching the shed.

    Loved the scene with Mary and Matthew, I hope they stay engaged and she doesn't do something stupid to mess it all up.

    Oh boy, we have a long time to wait for the next season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dana...

      I thought the dog was dead also!

      Yes, it will be a long wait for new episodes. In a way though, I think it's one reason the show stays fresh.

      Delete