(Please-no spoilers! Assume that all readers are viewing Downton Abbey as it airs on PBS)


Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Violet-isms

Any fan of Downton Abbey knows that Violet, The Dowager Countess of Grantham, artfully played by Maggie Smith, has given us the latest topic of conversation around the water cooler.

The quick wit of the Dowager Countess has taken on a life of it's own.

You can find them on Youtube.  You'll find them in all the magazines, from those that a Lord or Lady would read to those at the supermarket check-out.  They are emblazoned on pillows and coffee cups.

Yes, I am talking about Violet-isms.  Here are two of my favorites:

Lady Cora:               I might send her over to visit my aunt.  She could get to know New York.
Lady Grantham:       Oh, I don't think things are quite that desperate.
                                                            
                                                      ---------------------------------

Lady Grantham:          It's quite wonderful the way you see room for improvement
                                       wherever you look.  I never knew such reforming zeal.
Mrs. Isobel Crawley:  I take that as a compliment.
Lady Grantham:          I must have said it wrong.

What are some of your favorite Violet-isms?


No comments:

Post a Comment